What is addiction?
Addiction is a complex condition. One simple way of describing addictions is the presence of the 4 Cs: Craving, loss of Control of amount or frequency of use, Compulsion to use, and use despite of Consequences.
Signs your youth is struggling with an addiction
- Lying about where they are
- Change in friendships
- Keeping new friendships at a distance from the parent
- Family connections weakening
- Grades becoming poor
- Skipping class
- Running away
- Change in moods and behaviours
- Behaviours becoming more irritable or volatile
- Finding alcohol or drugs in the youth’s room
- Stealing from friends and family
- Getting in trouble with the law