Benefits of Volunteering:
Volunteering is something you can do no matter who you are. As a volunteer you can make a difference. Volunteering presents ideal opportunities to gain information and exposure to a variety of different jobs and can also provide opportunities:
- Opportunity to develop strengths and skills through work experience.
- Opportunity to meet new people, extend your network and make valuable contacts in your fields of interest.
- Valuable training is provided for all volunteer positions.
- Build your self-confidence and feel valued.
- Enjoy the satisfaction of making a difference.
- Volunteer hours are logged and acknowledged.
- Letters of reference will be available for work performed which will add to positive work resumes.
If you are interested in learning more about volunteer opportunities at Family Centre, please make an appointment with the Coordinator of Volunteer Resources, Kellie Pierzchala at 403-320-4232 extension 204. She encourages you to come for a tour of the facility and find out more about the many programs offered.
Persons applying for volunteer positions are asked to fill out a volunteer application. Some positions may involve the volunteer to have a Criminal Record check and a Child Intervention check done.
Volunteer Board of Director applications are accepted January through March.
Family Centre is a registered charity with a prevention and early intervention focus to empower children and families through programs, resources, and connections. With a 2 million dollar budget, we employ 29 staff, serving more than 5000 individuals every year. Our vision is: Healthy Children! Healthy Families! Healthy Communities! Our services focus on Information and Referrals, Early Childhood Education, Parent Education, and Family Support including free counselling.
Family Centre’s volunteer Board of Directors is responsible to its members, stakeholders and funders. It provides oversight of Family Centre’s operations including finances, human resources, and legal compliance, performance of the Executive Director, advocates on behalf of Family Centre, engages in and supports fund-raising activities, represents the diverse interests of Family Centre’s stakeholders, and sets the strategic direction for Family Centre.
Family Centre is currently inviting applications for positions on our Board of Directors. Please contact us if you or someone you know possesses the following qualities necessary to be an effective Director:
• Ability to listen, think clearly and creatively, work well with people individually and in a group.
• Ability to commit to serve a full 3-year term or a 1-year appointment.
• Willingness to participate in monthly board meetings to review, analyze, and provide direction on Family Centre’s activities.
• Ability to serve on at least one board committee and attend Family Centre special events.
• Ability to assume shared responsibility for generating resources to meet Family Centre’s service goals.
• Ability to demonstrate honesty and personal integrity
• Ability to be sensitive to and respectful of different views
• Ability to work in a collaborative fashion
• Ability to demonstrate a compassionate, friendly, responsive, and patient approach to working with others.
• Concern for the development of Family Centre and families in Southwestern Alberta.
To strengthen our already existing skill set, we are looking for a diverse range of individuals.
What will you gain in return for your service?
• A sense of pride as you better the lives of children and families.
• Knowledge about early intervention and prevention, human services and management strategies.
• Exposure to professionals who work with early intervention and prevention.
• An opportunity to develop skills, such as understanding financial statements, cultivate and solicit funds, and recruit and cultivate board members.